Friday, January 6, 2012

welcome.

well, congress will be back in session in the great state of tennessee here soon.  hearing about LOTS of wonderful bills going to be introduced, similar to OR WORSE than those introduced last year thought to be controversial.  tennessee is going to attempt again to introduce a bill that requires drug testing in order to receive food stamps, unemployment benefits, or the like.  they tried to pass this last year, but there was a hefty price tag attached to it, so it did not pass.  another BIG bill that is getting lots of national attention is one that makes it 'OK' to bully kids so long as you are a Christian or Republican.  Well, the rhetoric specifically says this:
via TPMMuckraker
The proposed bill would amend the state's current anti-bullying law to specify that the anti-bullying policy should "not be construed or interpreted to infringe upon the First Amendment rights of students and shall not prohibit their expression of religious, philosophical, or political views" as long as there's no physical threat to another student's property.
Now my question is, what happens if this person commits suicide because of the bullying?  Recently, in East Tennessee we lost a young man, Jacob Rogers, after being bullied repeatedly in school.  Now, we have religious right-wing groups like F.A.C.T. blaming it on alcohol or drug abuse.  What is wrong with the world today?  Why are Conservatives using the same rhetoric that they used against the African American community against the LGBT community?

Now let me give you an idea of where I am at in West Tennessee.  My state representative is the oh-so-wonderful, Rep. Andy Holt (R).  He's well known in these parts for introducing a bill that would allow guns on campus.  As a recent graduate of the University of Tennessee at Martin, a school in his district, I will tell you that he did not, to my knowledge, discuss what students on this campus thought of a bill like this. Most students on campus were very much opposed to a piece of legislation like this being introduced.  I will tell you this, I am doing anything I can to ensure that Mr. Holt is NOT re-elected this November!

My state senator is Lowe Finney (D).  Senator Finney is a wonderful man who genuinely fights for the real values and beliefs of those in West Tennessee.  We may not see eye-to-eye on every issue, but he is willing to listen to his constituents and take what they have to say into account.  He is someone that I can count and depend on.  The unfortunate part of this is that is the recent redistricting maps introduced go into effect, Senator Finney will no longer be my Senator, but I will gain another Senator that I am fond of, Senator Roy Herron.

Now, the biggest winner is my member of Congress.  His name is Stephen Fincher.  He is a freshman member of Congress.  He may be more well-known for being voted as one CREW's (citizens for responsibility of ethics in washington) most corrupt member's of Congress.  The list consists of fourteen members that includes 13 representatives and 1 senator of which 10 of the 14 are Republican.  For more information on Mr. Fincher and his "corruptness" you can look at CREW's page on him here.  Now keep in mind, Mr. Fincher was in office for ONLY about six or seven months before he was lucky enough to win this award!  Now, if ever there was someone I did not want in office, it would be him!  Again, I will be working diligently this election year to do what I can to ensure that he is a one-term representative!

So, here's a little insight into what I will be discussing here.  I will talk about efforts of groups across the state of Tennessee doing what they can to ensure the rights of all Tennesseeans and Americans.  I will discuss mostly local and state politics and issues.  More so, in regards to West Tennessee.  I will also be discussing the big topics of the 2012 election.  Including, my full support in the re-election of President Barack Obama!  I would appreciate if you would share this blog with other political junkies that you know!  Any and all support would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment