Sunday, January 15, 2012

TelephoneTown Hall Meetings....the new age GOP avoidance mechanism?

Just this past week, the Jackson Sun ran an op-ed from a gentleman over in Weakley county named, Michael Cooper.  As someone who tries their best to keep up on all things political affecting me and the city, state, or congressional district(s) that I live in, I can personally attest in saying that since Mr. Fincher has been in office I have not been able to find any information, until after it's occurrence, of a town hall or public appearance.  I am someone who actively calls their legislator if there is a bill that I feel absolutely strongly about to express my opinion and why it's important for it to be voted for or against.  I am someone who believes that my representation in government should legitimately care what my (and every single constituent's) opinion is (if they care to express it), no matter if they agree with it or not....and no matter what my political affiliation may be.  However, Mr. Fincher does not seem to play that way.


I can personally say that there have been several times that I have called both Senator Corker & Senator Alexander's offices to give my opinion on legislation that is up for a vote.  Their secretaries have been thorough in getting my contact information, and even after phone calls I have received follow-up emails about the vote and why they voted the way they did (sadly, never the way I wanted them).  While, it is vaguely keeping in touch with their constituents, Mr Fincher doesn't do any of this.  Never have I received an follow-up email (unless it was an electronic message I sent (via his legislature page) and allowed for an automated response from him) or any other contact in regards to a call I placed to any of his offices. I have called and asked several times about any upcoming town hall meetings or anything while Congress was on break and never got a thing. (Over his late summer break he and his wife were too busy in Israel [with a bunch of other congressional members] to the tune of  $20,227.46 to hold a town hall meeting)


After reading Mr. Cooper's op-ed in the Jackson Sun I decided to would push harder to get some answers.  I called Fincher's D.C. office.  His secretary said that he was on "the Hill" now and doesn't have anything scheduled.  I made mention of the op-ed to her and how it states that he doesn't do in-person town hall meetings, and only reverts to tele[phone]-town hall meetings.  She had no response and suggested that I email his scheduler, Sarah Collins, and see if she can give me any insight.  I sent this January 13th at 1259p CST.


It reads as so:

   I received your information from one of the women that is working in Mr. Fincher's D.C. office.  We (myself and many constituents that I have talked to) are trying to find out when there is another tele-town hall meeting, as well as a real town hall, in-person meeting.  There have been many complaints about this since Mr. Fincher took office, and also one in print in today's Jackson Sun about how he is not doing in-person town hall meetings, only tele-town hall meetings, and that the questions are being screened.  I don't think that's fair to the taxpayers that are paying his salary, travel expenses, and other expenses.  I check several times a week on his website about upcoming events where my representative might be at, but nothing is ever posted.  This is increasingly frustrating for me, a taxpaying constituent of Mr. Fincher.  I'm sure that MANY more constituents could and would agree.  I look forward to your response, and hope to hear of when Mr. Fincher will be holding a town hall meeting.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Now, I understand that this was 2 o'clock EST Friday and that this is a long holiday weekend in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, at the present time (late Sunday evening) I have gotten nothing.  Furthermore, unless word of this blog makes it back to Mr. Fincher,  I doubt I will get a response.  Actually, I'm still betting against it.  

I also want to go further in saying that I do receive update emails from Mr. Fincher's website.  Again, I do not remember ever seeing any mention of an in-person town hall meeting NOR a request to be a part of a tele-town hall meeting.  I will also say that I think that Mr. Fincher knows of me, or my name, as he asked a family member of mine, a supporter of his, about me.  She denied being related to me in fear that he might associate her with me despite the fact that she, too, is a gospel singer.  I'm guessing that he had to have known that she might know me due to facebook or something else.  This was prior to his election in 2010, probably because I was stirring up information, what little anyone could find, of him at UTM, where I was attending at the time.  

So, Mr. Fincher here is my request.  IF YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT WHAT YOUR CONSTITUENTS THINK and are not afraid to answer legitimate questions about your actions including your FEC ruling (and snafu), your traveling back to your home district regularly and NOT meeting with constituents, why you are still receiving farm subsidies, but voting against unemployment benefits and other social programs that are necessary for MANY of your constituents[and their families] just to get by from one day to the next, HOLD AN IN-PERSON TOWN HALL MEETING WITH PLENTY OF NOTICE!  For a congressional district that has lost so many of the businesses that employed many residents here over the years with no new industries being created, and yet I don't see you voting for or introducing anything that will put West Tennesseeans back to work (unless you think your GOP oil pipeline will magically drop the unemployment rate in here in West Tennessee in half).  You're far too concerned with voting in line with Speaker Boehner, than legitimately doing your job and voting in the best interest of your constituents (and NOT just your big $$$ donor constituents).  

So, my question is....are the "Tele-Town Hall" meetings that he is conducting his way of avoiding hard hitting questions from his constituents???  It seems to me like this is the perfect "scenario" for him to delusion himself into thinking he's genuinely getting input from voters, but really, is just getting statements from members about "how we need[ed] God in government," and not real questions about real concerns of real citizens that are being affected by the way he votes while representing me and every other resident in his district.

I will certainly update you as to if and when I get a response from Mr. Fincher or his staff.

Oh, and one more thing....Mr. Fincher...the next time that someone runs against you (you know there will be) and there is a debate being hosted in the 8th district I think you should participate.  It'll really show West Tennesseeans just how qualified you are job you were voted in to do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment