Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Ron Paul Revolution in West Tennessee?

I went to Jackson yesterday to get my son some new shoes.  My husband and I decided we wanted to eat healthy while we were in Jackson and were making our way to Jason's Deli.  To my utter shock I came upon this:

Now for those of you who are familiar with this area, this is right by the wal-mart on vann drive.  right near the columns.  i did not go down to the columns to see if they were there as well, but if i had to guess id say at least 100 if not more were out there.  now, for the last four years that ive been living in tennessee i cannot recall jackson getting political about much of anything and doing something like this.  now, i am not a ron paul supporter at all.  in fact, from most of the younger people that are in to him, i can personally attest that they all are or were stoners....or the majority of them are.  they see ron paul as being a support of the legalization of marijuana.  i have several supporters that I am friends with scattered across the country.  i know that several of them participate in the wacky tobacky.  now, i really never gave paul the slightest bit of attention.  he claims to be a libertarian and many of the supporters out there claimed to be libertarians and that he was as well.  

Now according to the Libertarian Party's official website this is how they describe being a libertarian:

What is a Libertarian?

Let's start with Webster's definition:
libertarian: A person who upholds the principles of individual liberty especially of thought and action.
Libertarian: a member of a political party advocating libertarian principles. 
Libertarians believe in, and pursue, personal freedom while maintaining personal responsibility.  The Libertarian Party itself serves a much larger pro-liberty community with the specific mission of electing Libertarians to public office.
Libertarians strongly oppose any government interfering in their personal, family and business decisions.  Essentially, we believe all Americans should be free to live their lives and pursue their interests as they see fit as long as they do no harm to another.
In a nutshell, we are advocates for a smaller government, lower taxes and more freedom.
Now, I would guess that if you didn't want the government interfering in your personal life then you would be accepting of gay rights since what they do in their house shouldn't be regulated by the government.  Then a woman would most definitely have the right to choose.  Right?  Well, we all know, Ron Paul is definitely PRO-LIFE.  Doesn't sound very libertarian like to me.  If he supports less government, then he shouldn't care or what a woman chooses.  As from his website he had this to say:
via Ron Paul Fan Site 
In an Oct. 27, 1999 speech to Congress, Ron Paul said:
“I am strongly pro-life. I think one of the most disastrous rulings of this century was Roe versus Wade. I do believe in the slippery slope theory. I believe that if people are careless and casual about life at the beginning of life, we will be careless and casual about life at the end. Abortion leads to euthanasia. I believe that.”
Now,  the site also says:
He believes that human life starts at conception, and that casual elimination of the unborn leads to a careless attitude towards all life.
So let me get this straight, if I were to have an abortion clearly I have a careless attitude towards all life?  If I am a teenager, knowingly unable to provide a reasonable life for a child, most likely without two responsible, especially financially, parents, and will rely only on state-funded health care provided by tax dollars to bring this child into this world.......and Im careless towards life if I know its better for both me, my family, and that cell mass to be terminated?  Let me say, that this doesn't make sense.

Now, recently there have been newsletters that the "good doctor" wrote in the early 90's that exploit typical racist stereotypes on blacks and gays.  So he clearly, does not really support gays like he so adamantly claims today.  I encourage you to follow twitter user RP_Newsletter .  He has been posting the different newsletters 140 characters at a time, and it is rather interesting the things that he writes.  And, I can personally attest, that as a doctor, he more than well should have known that the accusations that he made about AIDS and blood transfusions in the early 90's was BS.  I had a severe ten hour spinal surgery in 1994 that required a blood transfusion and at the age of 12 I was informed of all the different tests that were run on blood before a transfusion at the time because of the knowledge that HIV could be transferred that way.  I was blown away that he really did believe this virus could be transferred in the most ridiculous ways.

So, now my question is this, why is there all this VISIBLE support for Ron Paul?  Is there something else appealing about him that I don't know?  Can someone fill me in?  To me, I don't see the appeal to him at all.  So, now are we going to start seeing people gathering around West Tennessee in support of Romney, Gingrich, Santorum, or my personal favorite, Perry?  If I wasn't with my family, I might have ventured out there to ask those folks why they personally are voting for Paul.  Maybe I would have gotten some interesting answers.

How much more of this will we see before the primary on March 6th?

No comments:

Post a Comment